03 Aug Club ordered to pay $500k after electric shock
A woman and her daughter who received an electric shock at a north Canberra club have been awarded $512,000 in compensation.
The ACT Supreme Court has found the Gungahlin Lakes Golf Club operator and a contractor who installed the light were negligent.
The incident happened in 2008 when the woman went to the club to have dinner with her family.
Her six-year-old daughter suffered an electric shock from the faulty light at the front desk, and the mother felt a big jolt in her hip as she touched her child.
The girl was left with burns and black soot on her wrist and the top of her arm.
The mother broke free from the charge and the two fell to the floor.
The woman argued she had ongoing psychological problems, and difficulties with continuing full time work.
The payout recognises general damages, lost income and superannuation and medical expenses.
The club operators and the contractor have been ordered to pay legal costs.
By Elizabeth Byrne
Posted 15 Feb 2013, 5:11pm on abc.net.au